Re: Mutations and imitations

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam@pinehill.com)
Date: 08/19/02-12:11:28 PM Z

When I first got serious about photography some years ago, I found
myself photographing Jack (LOML) a lot. In reviewing a lot of the photos
I spotted some Callahans (I really loved his work, especially the
Eleanor series) and some Bellocqs (the photographer who photographed in
whore houses, turn of the century). I'm sure there were probably some
other influences there, too, just not noticed. I never intended copying
either of these photographers. In fact, I was irritated, some of my
favorite photographs were design copies.

It's just plain difficult to know everything that preceded, when you're
copying, or seeing that copy when producing the print. I didn't want to
imitate Callahan.

That said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; and there's not
much you can do about it. I'd say this is probably more difficult for
very talented women, who are stolen from and copied unmercifully by less
talented men, have always been (Watson and Crick? Bah!), will always be
as long as the media insist on concentrating on men.

Pam, ducking and running for cover

PS Don't want to start a gender war here. I'm hoping that we all agree
about the past.