Re: What Postmodernism Means, etc.,etc.,etc.

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/19/02-08:02:00 AM Z

Cole Weston can't match his father's prints using the same negative, and
Cole is a master craftsman and an artist in his own right when he makes
his own pictures. The people snapping away in your example don't stand a chance.

Thinking is important. Your example, duplicating the Weston pepper, will
never work because no other individual can duplicate E.W.'s thinking.
But we don't remember Edward Weston's thinking, we remember his pictures.

We're both saying that thinking counts, but you seem to say that
thinking trumps final product. In pure conceptual art where there is no
physical product, fine. But in visual art, a great idea can't carry the
day on its own. If the visual object doesn't resonate as a work of art,
it just doesn't matter how good an idea is supposed to be behind it.

---Carl