RE: Has this been done before? Really? Show me.

From: Wendy Gollihue (wgolli@flash.net)
Date: 08/20/02-02:08:41 PM Z

We, here in the Dallas area, have a class that is offered called "visual
extensions". They actually had to rename it. (some political issues with
higher level institutions i believe) I can appreciate both methods of
teaching. The 'done this before mantra' seems to be the easiest and maybe
quicker way (due to time constraints in semester/quarters) way of an
instructor ensuring that students in some way may extend themselves
visually. Our instructors don't sing that mantra often. I appreciate the
visual extensions because it's a productive way of getting the individual
out of a mold. Some examples of the requirements: produce the ugliest
image you could possibly produce, and another exercise i've seen them do is
to take a group out on a dirt road with a cardboard box and you are asked to
create and photograph. These activities seem to push the individual and you
come away with a pleasureble feeling of creating on your own. It's an
interactive positive way of saying to us students "don't" and that we can
"do".

And btw, the visual extensions class is tought by Chris Regas almost
exclusively. And he does the cookoff in Luchenbach every year. (for those
who may attend)

Wendy