Re: Van Dyke Brown Mixing question

dsbryant@mindspring.com
Date: 08/21/02-03:53:57 PM Z

Julian, Sandy, and Clay,

> one thing I have noticed when doing a batch of > VDB prints, is that if I
mix
> all three solutions together to make a single > working solution it just
> doesn't last.

One thing that I have noticed with past mixes of VDB is when prints loose
their brown tone and produce a dull grey tones the stock solution is finished,
regardless of age. My last mix was created on 4/19/2002 and finally petered
out a few days ago. I've had previous mixes last longer though.

I would have thought that the Ferric Ammonium Citrate would be most likely to
age and go bad, but what do I know I'm not a chemist. I have no empherical
evidence to support that hunch.

When I get home this evening I'll check my bottle for undissolved sludge and
probably decant the clear solution and get rid of the percipitate. I would
think that any undissolved percipitate isn't ever going into solution since a
full 24 hrs has passed since mixing.

Don Bryant