Re: art teachers: let's feel their pain

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 08/22/02-08:41:17 AM Z

Although I've been on the road for some time I have read most of the posts with
interest and thought I'd ride it out... with my all new (and untested)
facilities about to be put into a long semester's usage, I have way too much to
do to be sitting and scratching out a response, BUT

I can't sit and simply read this thread anymore without comment.

Shannon, leave your school immediately; hopefully it is not too late. The
critiques and attitudes you've described are legend in the field, but certainly
not uniform nor the the norm from my experience. I know it happens because I
hear from students attending one of the several top twenty schools in my area
of similar inqusition-like styles. Find the "teachers" and ignore the list of
faculty's achievements unless one of them is great teaching. My proudest award
of all my achievements is a Distinguished Professor Award -- a student based
annual award That's what keeps me in this job.

No critiques needs to destroy anything, only illuminate what is there, both
good and bad. Suggestions for improvement, whether alternative possibilities
for presentation, content, and technique all instruct without personal loss.
Yes, I have had students cry in critiques, but they could not stand to have
their work used as an examples of how to better compose a photo, so some
obviously have very thin skins, but most do not. I also find students own sense
of pride and a need to appear competent (visually cool?) is a great motivating
factor for their development as artists. A small amount of praise placed upon a
good (student) example helps to direct others to consider "where" in their own
work they may also achieve public recognition.

A.D. Coleman admits his job as a critic is to destroy, but only that which
doesn't advance the medium or pretends to achieve the status of sacred. That is
very different that what is, could, probably should be going on in school.
IMHO, we should be teaching survival of the artist, not the image.

-Darryl

P.S. MFA degrees are professional artist degrees and have a long lasting effect
on one's ability to formulate ideas, clarify fuzzy thinking, and understand a
wide variety or art voices. It is worth the time and maybe the money, but a job
teaching is not to be considered lightly as merely a means to an end. Too many
MFA degrees are awarded without providing a basis for teaching the medium. I'm
lucky to have a very supportive university where teaching is supported and
nurtured by a series of seminars, workshops, teaching circles, and financial
grants.