Re: Fixer Kallitype,Salt Prints & Albumen

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 08/22/02-07:46:14 AM Z

Both kallitype and salted paper need about a 5% solution of sodium
thiosulfate, that is 50g per 1000ml of water. I don't know about
albumen.

To avoid fading try adding about 10g of sodium carbonate and 2g of
sodium sulfite to the hypo solution to make it more alkaline. With
the addition of carbonate and sulfite I have very little if any
fading with kallitypes, even when fixing with two separate fixing
baths of 2 minutes each. In practice I actually mix up a gallon of
fixer at four times the desired final strength as a stock, then
dilute it 1:3 as a working solution. Formula is:

        Start with 3000ml water, then add:
                200g sodium thiosulfate
                40g sodium carbonate
                8g sodium sulfite
        Add water to make 4 liters.

For use, dilute 1:3 with water for working solution. For most work I
use a relatively small amount of working solution (about 500ml per
12X20 print), with two separate fixing baths, discarding after two
prints, with the second solution always fresh.

Also, toning before fixing with gold or platinum will virtually
eliminate fading with kallitype.

My experiences with Rapid Selenium toning of kallitypes has been very
unhappy. Used at a dilution of 1:200 you will get a very nice color
with about a minute of toning, but the papers I have used have been
very prone to staining with selenium.

Sandy