Re: language discussion on the ethics of repeating, for illustration, prejorative terms

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/23/02-11:21:08 PM Z

This reminds me of a story told by a friend of mine who was a school social
worker in a local high school. One of his younger counselees came in one day
saying that he was very upset because all the older boys were calling him a
"faggot" and in general making his life miserable. My friend asked him if he
knew what a faggot was. The boy said he didn't know what it was. So my
friend suggested he go to the school library and look it up in the
dictionary. The boy came back to the social workers office and was furious.
He slammed the door shut and slumped down in a chair and exclaimed, "I am NOT
a bundle of sticks!"

Mark Nelson

<< >