Re: Warning: photographer in training, please reduce speed ahead.

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 08/24/02-02:56:35 PM Z

     I do this on a weekly basis; in beginning photography I photo the best
ones from the week and show them the following week at the beginning of the
class. In the upper division courses, I photo their work and show it every
couple weeks. The students get the benefit of seeing their work in large
screen format but I also get the benefit of having a visual record of what
work my students produce. I mean, most of them don't copy slide their own
work, and some day when they are famous I've got records of their early
"historical" stuff on file. Is it a pain in the butt to do? Yes, and
costly, too, figuring for each roll of film I probably spend about $15 of my
own money. But the other benefit is that when I lecture, I have a couple
sections in the lecture, and it is the way that each section gets to see the
other section's work. I also will point out problems with the photos, or
what could be done better, or ask the students to tell me what they think.
It is also a fantastic way to make a student feel good about their biggie
mistakes, when I say, "OHHH, WOW, this is the BEST example of (you interject
the word here; air bells on negs, blown out highlights, dust bunnies,
compositional mergers); would you mind if I used this to show the rest of
the class?" They then look at mistakes as functioning positively.
chris