Re: Art vrs. Porno etc.

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/24/02-10:08:13 PM Z

I have a friend who has used the landscape metaphor for figurative work.
She's a she. She does both males and females. She does people of different
ages. She's damn good at what she does. People like her work. She's also
fought hard to get her work shown in local galleries and museums...and broke
ground for other photographers.

Is it the fact that photography is capable of rendering the human figure so
realistically that people find offensive? I suppose a painter could do that
as well.... and a sculptor....

I understand the issue of "idealized female nudes" or "idealized male nudes."
 Not everyone looks that way... and people shouldn't get the message that
they are only acceptable if they look that way. I'm tired of Pepsi
commercials with Britney Spears. I like to photograph flowers. Not all
flowers are perfect. I sometimes photograph imperfect flowers. I sometimes
photograph them after they have wilted or dried. I think that there is an
evolution of beauty that living things go through. I think people go through
similar stages of beauty.

I am having difficulty understanding the problem of "straight photographic
representation focusing on the feminine, softness and curves, etc., of the
female body." Would it be OK if the image was more abstract and fuzzy?
Double exposures? Certainly they shouldn't be done by the F64 crowd then.

Why can't any subject be "high art," whatever that is.

I think one of the differences between nudes in photography and say nudes in
painting or sculpting, is the model has to hold still longer....well, unless
you are using a pinhole camera.

I like eroticism in some work. I think some people like being erotic. I
think it is human. Maybe I don't understand the definition of eroticism. I
think I'll go look it up. Yeah, I understand it. I'd like to see the
Vatican's porno collection.

I don't care to humiliate or denigrate or berate or substrate anyone. I
wouldn't care for work that would encourage one human (the viewer) to degrade
another person.

Mark Nelson