Re: A creamy finish

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 08/27/02-08:09:23 AM Z

There are two emulsions I found best: Liquid Light is about 2 stops slower
than these. Way slow. One is Silverprint which Judy mentions below. The
other is from the Photographer's Formulary, called Formulite, a variable
contrast emulsion available in a 16 oz. bottle and is about $57 I believe.
They also sell a hardener.
     In coating glass and tile, myself, the one variable that was very
important was to keep the glass/tile warm with a blow dryer type hair dryer
before coating, and then pour it on and spread it quickly.
     The subbing I used was chrome alum in gelatin which worked great to
adhere anything. However, it is easily scraped off of glazed tiles when
dry, so you would have to use a protective spray when dry, like an acrylic
Krylon or something.
     If I had my druthers, I would definitely use the clear oil based
polyurethane varnish (mine is put out by Benjamin Moore, thick and rich) as
a subber; it worked the best for me on aluminum. I taped off the area I was
going to sub and brushed away. I also tried gold pigment (Daniel Smith) in
the varnish to give it an old timey look, which it does. If you are doing
tintypes, this may be your ticket. Don't use too much gold powder pigment
because it is strong.
     The nice thing about doing a project on polyurethaned metal is you can
hang a project, and then take it down, put the metal under warm running
water and slough off all the old project and do a whole nother project on
the same plates afterwards. Talk about consumer art.
Chris