Re: Art vrs. Porno etc. and women in power

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 08/27/02-02:01:14 PM Z

     It has been enjoyable to read all of this thread, as I have written a
book on this topic, as Judy has mentioned (Tutti Nudi), and worked
extensively with the nude photographically. In a month I will be giving a 3
hr lecture on it to a Women Artists class at Montana State U where I teach
photography--my first formal lecture about the subject since writing the
book 2 yr ago!! I'm a little slow. Thus the ideas brought up in this
thread have given me more fodder even tho I have not to date commented on
them.
     I have approximately 650 documented nudes which I will have to whittle
down in order not to put the students to sleep--if the naked body can do
that. I plan on giving a crash course in the history of the nude first (25
words or less?) and then end with some of the current work being done that I
find really successful. Unfortunately seeing as it is a Women Artists class
I will weed out a bunch of men I find working well in this genre--John
Coplans, Manabu Yamanaka, Minnkinen (sp) etc. to concentrate on the women
they need to "watch" in the art world (check out Valadon--first woman to
portray her naked aging body in paint).
     How I will conduct the class is to hand out a sheet of questions for
small group discussion before and after the slide show/lecture. I will ask
such questions as, Do men and women portray the nude differently (men doing
male nudes, men doing female nudes, women doing male nudes,women doing
female nudes, gay or lesbians doing same sex nudes?) Why are there so many
female nudes compared to male nudes? Why is the nude such a
controversial subject? What does the iconography of the nude say about the
culture within which it exists? Why was there no body hair portrayed on
women? Why is there a dif between photography and painting in relation to
the nude? Is the female nude truly damaging to women? And so on and so
forth. Plus the issues raised here ('polishing the wood' mags and such :)).
I am quite interested in today's students' opinions on this questions,
unrehearsed, off the cuff. Or if they even care.
     I come into the classroom with no particular agenda, but a desire to
understand, observe, and make the students aware so that somewhere in the
back of their minds they'' think on these things, because it is discussions
such as these on this list, etc., that open eyes to the nude not being, to
quote Judy, a neutral subject. It always says something about the culture,
because the way we treat the body in representation, which is ourselves, has
to. I do not feel I am an authority on the subject, even having researched
literally hundreds of books on it...just a very intrigued observer who
happens to live in a body--and who happens to love the nude, too--even the
"sexist" ones such as Wesselmann's. Actually, at least Wesselmann was
honest about his endeavour; the nudes I personally cannot STAND are those
where the woman is placed buck naked and tritely posed in old abandoned
dirty Montana like buildings, complete with nails on floor, spider webs and
such. I ain't puttin' my.....ahem...down on some splintery floor! And I
bet most men would shy away from splinters in their "package" also...
     I was joking to someone the other day that I should really give the
lecture in the nude, remembering back to when my friend was in Massage
School and they went to class ALL nude all the time to get used to the naked
body. Fascinating stuff. BUT...i think i might get fired...How interesting
if University nude drawing/painting classes would require all students to be
nude along with the model!
     End of my rambling with no real concise point...
Chris