re Cachet

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/28/02-12:56:51 AM Z

Re cachet:

Post-factory #3 had a feature on liquid emulsions, including a report by
Jesse Koechling who tested Cachet Black Magic Variable contrast
extensively and found it good. It's also the same as the European LPE...
He said that when the label soaked off his Black magic Variable Contrast,
there was one underneath marked "LPE 310."

However I'd go slow on buying the extras.... The Black Magic Photo Gelatin
was $26 for 250 grams, and requires a separate hardener, which they say is
formaldehyde free -- probably alum. this is another $26 for 500 mls, or
was. That is, for $52 plus shipping, you can buy a lot of photo gelatin &
alum at Photographer's Formulary. Their so-called "baryta" which is
named for barium sulfate, is another conundrum -- their version is
apparently transparent, rather than white, so it's not clear what its
function would be.

J.