Re: The Pictorial Nude and Pictorialism Generally

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 08/29/02-10:39:36 AM Z

What I typically do is a little different I guess. First of all, I do a fair
amount of portraits and similar. That involves seeing a face or an expression
(often quite an "instantaneous" recognition of the impressive face or
expression etc.), and then begins what can be quite a laborious process of
arranging to get it in front of the camera at my house. I hardly do any
environmental portraits (I'm interested in the face or the expression
typically and don't want anything interfering). So that's that stuff. More
germane, I guess, to this discussion is seeing things out of doors. I see the
thing in a certain light and I imagine how it might look as a platinum print.
If I think I can do it, I return at a later time w/ the equipment. Because of
the considerable predictability of the climate and weather around Central New
Mexico, this is more practical than you might suppose. For instance, I know
of a certain 7x17-able scene (including the very quality of light) that's
going to present from a certain bridge on the south end of town here around
the middle of October. I'm just waiting for it. You could say that the
essential creative part of all this is basically over -- I saw the scene,
projecting the look in mid-Oct, about a month ago, and ran the processes that
I think will produce the platinum print I imagined over the next day or so.
This whole business fails often enough, due to my lack of skill and
experience and other causes. I've shot a certain building on three occasions
this summer and am probably heading back for a fourth. BTW, and this responds
to Judy to an extent, I really enjoy tweaking the prints. I practice law all
day and, no matter how incomparably jolly that may sound, there's little I
like better in my life than getting into the darkroom in the evening, lighting
a cigar, looking around myself, and thinking, "Now, let's just see what may be
done with that smug negative of the beautiful desert weed ...." -JB