Re: quick draw large format

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 08/29/02-02:05:21 PM Z

There's something in AA, maybe in his autobiography, about how he always
taught his workshop students to set up in 90" or something similar. Plus, we
all know the story of the quick set-up etc. when he shot Moonrise.... I don't
do the quick set-up. I break things. -jb

Bill Collins <photo@intrex.net> said:

> While I don't think I could set up in 90 seconds, my 4x5 field camera can be
set up quickly. The process goes something like this:
> -extend tripod legs
> -snap quick release (attached to camera) onto the tripod.
> -release catch and fold open the camera.
> -lift front standard to operating position and tighten thumb screws.
> -get out the dark cloth and start composing/focusing.
>
> If I'm using my nonorail, it is almost as easy. The quick release is
attached to the rail and I just have to slide the standards onto the rail and
I'm ready to go.

> Bill
> From: shannon stoney <sstoney@pdq.net>
> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:34:58 -0500
>
> >CArl wrote:
> >
> >> When I teach view camera
> >>technique I tell students that you should be able to see something from
the
> >>car at 70 mph (or while hiking with your gear in a packback) and be
pulling
> >>the darkslide within ninety seconds. They usually think I'm kidding, but
I'm
> >>not. (How do you get to use a view camera fast? Same way you get to
Carnegie