Re: Salted Paper

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 08/31/02-11:59:29 AM Z

Joe,

In fact you can see the stain/veiling fog after exposure, even
before it goes into the wash. You can see it on all parts of the
paper that received a coating of silver nitrate, even those areas
that were masked from the light during exposure. And when you put the
print in water to wash, either in regular tap water or in distilled
water, the fog does not wash out. So I don't think it is due to the
rinse water as the stain is already there prior to beginning the wash.

I am using a classic salting formula, same one described in Crawford,
Farber and James, plus a plain solution of 12% silver nitrate for the
sensitizer. I have also added about 5% of citric acid to the silver
nitrate solution, to no avail. I do not ammoniate the sensitizer. Why
is it important to keep the ammonium chloride and sodium citrate in
the same ratio?. The sources I am looking at suggest that the sodium
citrate can be reduced or eliminated altogether in order to obtain
more contrast.

I am working with papers that develop very clean with both kallitype
and vandyyke, those being Fabriano Artistico and Uno, Rives Aquarelle
and Stonehenge Rising.

Sandy