Re: Salted Paper

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 08/31/02-07:29:48 PM Z

Sandy,

My apologies, I gave you may standard response to people having problems
with salted paper. Terry King and I communicated over several months
concerning a phenominon pretty much what you are discribing. He started
having vailing problems right after moving to another town with a different
water supply. Although, his problems happened during processing. I want to
lean towards paper in this case. But your papers are all good and I have
done well with all of them.

I have relatives in your neck of the woods and they have been telling me
that it has been hotter and wetter than usual. How hot and muggy is it in
your work room? High heat (90+) and high humdity can play havoc with salted
paper. The heat and humdity can speed up reaction time enough that it will
"age" the paper right in front of your eyes. There are some other variables
or pollutants like sulfer dioxide in the air or sulfer compounds in the
paper that can screw things up, I did some experiments some time back, with
humdifying salted paper to see if contrast or anything else would happen, I
did get dichroic fog on a couple of instances.

Is the fog smooth or do you have blotches of higher density in some areas?

Switching gears, the ratio of aluminum and sodium is best 1:1 for solution
stability. I really have not seen any appreciable contrast shifts by
altering the sodium citrate percentages. Ammoniating the silver nitrate
does, but again not to any great degree.