Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 12/02/02-11:24:24 AM Z

Sandy,

I'd also recommend Fred Miranda's Stair Interpolation, which I think works
better than GF etc. The latest version is $15 from
http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/index.html and there are some good example
pictures there comparing it with GF and other methods. Software which uses
Lancos interpolation - such as the free Irfanview
http://www.irfanview.com/ - is also likely to give better results with
most images than GF.

BJP did a feature on interpolation, perhaps around a year ago, and the
results they published showed there was no advantage in using GF, but they
still ended up recommending it! I think the test in the feature said that
the best results came from Paintshop Pro, but like many BJP features they
didn't test what many of us think would do better - such as SI.

I've used Vuescan and Silverfast, though not with this scanner. Vuescan is
cheap and seems to get everything possible out of the scanners I've tried
it with, giving you files that can then be optimised with Photoshop. I've
just been making a print from a black and white neg using a scan from
Vuescan, and it is better than I could do in the darkroom, with great
shadow and highlight detail.

Silverfast seems designed to cut out the work in Photoshop and produce
files that are pre-press ready. For my purposes, Vuescan was better, and I
even paid for it - only around $40 I think - despite having a free copies
of Silverfast and Silverfast HD.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com