Re: VDB vs. Argyrotypes

From: Wynn White (wynn@boardermail.com)
Date: 12/03/02-07:26:05 PM Z

I make argyrotypes and Vandykes and have found the key to using a variety of papers with argyrotype is to not dry with a hair dryer. I've had the best luck printing when the paper is still slightly moist; the moister the paper the cooler the image color and the greater the contrast. With slightly moist paper I have made argyrotypes that were neutral gray before toning.

I have found that the addition of acid as a contrast enhancer makes the prints grainy. I have added hydrogen peroxide to the argyrotype sensitizer and it printed fine but I'm not sure if I got much of a boost in contrast. That is something that I plan to experiment more with in the future. I have gotten the greatest contrast with the standard argyrotype sensitizer on Lenox paper.

I generally find argyrotype to give slightly more contrast than Vandyke. I also like the fact that argyrotype works better with a single coat rather than the double coating that I apply to Vandykes. I use both processes depending on the negative and the paper that I wish to print on.

I have tried toning with Kodak selenium toner and a variety of sulfide toners before fixing and have gotten staining in the area around the image that I mask off with red construction paper. The sulfide toners gave the worst stain. I have toned with gold, platinum and palladium before fixing and have gotten no staining with those toners.

I use a 5% hypo solution as a fixer for Vandykes but find that this is too strong for argyrotypes and bleaches the image. 2.5% seems to work well. For both of these processes I have found that if prints are not adequately fixed staining will occur. This is evident after a day or so when the masked area of the print is viewed  through strong light.

Best regards from Japan,

Wynn White