Re: Pyrocat-HD Problems

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/04/02-09:08:53 AM Z

My thoughts on this.

1. I have never tested Ilford Delta 400. It is possible that results
from this film are different from other films I have tested, which
include TRI-X, HP5+, FP4+, and Kodak T-100 and T-400. However, I
think it unlikely that the results would be different enough to
account for the speed loss you describe.

2. You are using the recommended formula and would gain nothing from
changing the accelerator from potassium to sodium carbonate, or to
hydroxide. However, even if using the right formula it is *possible*
that a mistake was made in mixing the chemicals.

3. In all of my tests Pyrocat-HD, either at 1:1:100 dilution or
2:2:100 dilution, has delivered at the very least full emulsion speed
as rated by the film manufacturer, using as a standard D76 1:1 as the
comparison developer. In fact, in most situations there was a slight
speed gain with Pyrocat-HD in comparison to D76.

4. The problem may be a conceptual error in your testing procedure.
Simplify it. First, make a test by exposing two sheets of film in a
real-life situation, developing one in ID-11, the other in Pyrocat.
Use Pyrocat at 1:1:100 and develop for the same time you would for
PMK 1:2:100. Then print the negatives and compare the prints. Don't
expect any dramatic differences at normal print sizes. Try 10X-20X
enlargments of small sections of your negatives to appreciate subtle
differences between the two developers.

5. For a more comprehensive testing system that really works I
recommend the procedure described by Phil Davis in Beyond the Zone
System. You should use a color densitometer in blue channel to read
negative densities. It will not be possible to get much of an idea of
the real printing density of a stained negative by reading the
step-wedge densities with a B&W densitometer.

Good luck, and let us know what results.

Sandy King