Re: crashes

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/04/02-08:32:26 AM Z

RE: Mac Crashes

My Mac is a Texas clone of a clone and runs 9.1, has a 3 gig drive and 128
megs of RAM. I keep ALL extra junk off the hard drive and on Zip discs or
CD's. Due to keeping files off the hard drive, I very very rarely have
crashes. If they are consistent . . and I believe this has happened to any
computer user . . it will always be (for the Mac) an extension conflict or
one's preference files are contaminated in some manner.

I use Conflict Catcher but one can easily just go to your System Folder,
then the Extensions Folder and toss 1/2 your extensions into the Extensions
Disabled (make one if you don't have it) folder and re-start. If things work
well, your problems are in that 1/2 of the extensions you disable. Then toss
back in 1/2 of those disabled and re-start, etc. You can zero in on the
corrupted extension easily with a little time.

If a particular program is quirky, chuck the preferences for it which are in
the preferences folder.

If patience wear thin . . toss everything away, use a Utility such as Norton
7.0 and wipe you complete disc twice and make sure you've done it cleanly,
like with double zeros and not just trashing all your programs. Then
re-install everything you use on a daily basis. I have found there are many
programs or software I think I might use one day but have not. It is wise to
eliminate those little devils.

Jack