RE: VDB test results - part 1

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/05/02-02:46:14 AM Z

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Liam Lawless wrote:
> P.S. The scale was several steps shorter with the unbuffered paper (equals
> a more contrasty print), though whether this is actually due to its lack of
> buffering I couldn't say, though I suspect it is. And something

Liam, if I read you correctly, you're suggesting that most contemporary
papers are buffered... Can you tell this with a pH pen? Light
Impressions for instance sells one that you can mark the paper with, the
color shows pH -- presumably giving, or suggesting, that info.

I have a bunch of paper about 70 years old -- a Strathmore drawing paper
that was "prewar" (pre world war 2), bought out of a warehouse by NY
Central & put into pads. It's great for cyano and VDB -- and SURELY is
unbuffered. (When did they start doing that??) If there's some simple test
I can do on that with cyano, let me know... But I mention that during all
this discussion I kept thinking that one hallmark of fixing VDB is
ALWAYS, on every paper, the INSTANT you put it in the fixer, even old,
weak, contaminated fixer, it simply POPS into a MUCH darker color.

That's the very dilute sodium thio in water.... What if anything does that
say about whether it's sulfiding or fixing?

J.