Me Too !! Re: Sorry about that!!!!!

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/05/02-03:16:23 AM Z

Scott, that was in jest. I believe in fact that the first appearance of
Pyrocat in print was in Post-Factory Photography (tho I think it had
already been on a website, or an earlier version of it had, tho I count on
being corrected if I'm wrong).

Post-Factory is an alternative photography publication (now with
subscribers in 32 countries, or maybe it's 34, I lost count) I do on my
little home computer, that weighs enough to crash into China.... In fact,
since I'm boasting this week, permit me to mention that I actually gave
pyrocat its name. It was called something like HHD, which I thought might
not be, let's say as catchy as it deserved.

That was in Post-Factory # 4... The one caught in the "upgrade" is #8, but
I may have mentioned that. Meanwhile, the same Sandy King who invented
pyrocat is on this list dispensing upgrades, whether or not there are as
many of them as there are gum messages, tho lately clearly Pyrocat is King!

Meanwhile, I very much regret that what I thought was so obviously in jest
that I didn't give it a second thought was taken as a serious rebuke to
pyrocat and/or Sandy. It was 4 in the morning & looking for an ironic
remark, something that was CLEARLY like motherhood and apple pie to take a
poke at, I said it. Next time I'll say.... what .... how adorable some of
these fellas are? Oh, that's obvious too. I'll try to think of something
else -- now it's 3:56 AM...

As for making negatives for all those processes -- I think all film
processing is going to get problematic, at least if the curve of
discontinuance continues as it has. And since some of my fans clearly
read my messages VERRRRY carefully, the sweethearts (oh some men simply
cannot STAND for a woman to have her own organ), I'll say that even now,
with all the complications, I find the digital negative irresistible.

The learning curve is steep -- I used to teach a class to make a passable
large neg on film in a morning, and of course at this stage learning to
make a digital negative is much longer, harder, and more expensive -- but
once you grasp the possibilities for CONTROL, it's a kind of freedom --
and a route to perfection-- you could never get with a large camera.

I'll add that, slogging bravely through the trauma, I'm completing a 10
page article for P-F on making digital negatives: "Advice from a Beginner"
-- not exactly Burkholder for Dummies, but an attempt to lay out some of
the parts that weren't so obvious, and even a few things I figured out
myself, AND some sources -- like really cheap EXCELLENT ink cartridges,
and a substrate several folks like better than Pictorico (at half the
price) and this and that...

Oh PS. Lest someone try to imagine I'm taking a swipe at Burkholder, I
mention his holy name about every paragraph....

Anyway, cheers for now, and be my guest: pyrocat away !

Judy