RE: VDB test results - part 1

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 12/04/02-09:38:04 PM Z

Good work, Richard, you've proved an important point. It hadn't even
occurred to me that it needed proving, but if there's a rumour circulating
that VDBs/kallis dont need fixing, well... it has to be squashed.

When you toned, you said that the density produced got less with longer
washing times. Washing removes soluble compounds, not insoluble (unless a
few "loose" crystals on the surface), so the difference is due to the
removal of soluble silver salts. The question, therefore, is whether any
insoluble salts are also present, which would need to be fixed out - if
toning still had an effect after 10 minutes' washing, whatever got toned
can't have been very soluble, so I'd say the answer is "Yes" (and that
further washing would not reduce the toned density any further!). Insoluble
salt does form in VDB and can be seen as a precipitate in old solutions, but
are tiny, insoluble particles also suspended in the liquid?

My guess is that insoluble silver salts are not present in the sensitiser,
but form on contact with buffered papers and that, maybe, you'd get away
with just washing VDBs on unbuffered paper. But maybe not, too, because
some organic, insoluble silver salts might form with the paper matter
itself. One way to test that would be to repeat your test on a synthetic
paper - I had some once, but it was such horrible stuff I threw it away. I
tried coating VDB on plastic, but couldn't. I can't do a conclusive test,
therefore, but do have an unbuffered paper here, Atlantis Silversafe, and
some Arches Aquarelle which I know is heavily buffered with carbonate.

OK, the results are in (some 2 hours later): I used a thiourea sepia toner
(10 g thiourea + 10 g sod. hydroxide in 1 litre), and toning produced bad
staining on both papers when they had been washed 10 minutes but not fixed.
Staining was a little less on the unbuffered. This suggests to me that
buffered paper is one reason why fixing is needed, but not the most
important one. The formation of insoluble organic silver compounds on the
paper is another explanation, but it strikes me that there could be another:
residual iron, forming ferrous sulphide on toning. I seem to remember
hearing/reading somewhere that hypo gets rid of iron, but can't remember
where or say if it's true.

Liam

P.S. The scale was several steps shorter with the unbuffered paper (equals
a more contrasty print), though whether this is actually due to its lack of
buffering I couldn't say, though I suspect it is. And something
interesting: when a fixed and (fairly briefly) washed VDB was put in sepia
toner (as above), the shadows darkened quite quickly and the image tone
gradually became cooler. No bleach was used before the toner.

Liam