RE: Formaldehyde mixed into gelatin size?

From: Nick Frazier (nick@jillflinkfineart.com)
Date: 12/05/02-11:24:34 PM Z

I use a version of this sizing method, using glyoxal instead of
formaldehyde. I have tried a lot of sizing methods and this one gives me the
best results by far.

I find that you can cut down on a lot of work by coating a bunch of paper at
once with this method. Also, I like to "pre-shrink" the paper before
coating, as a separate step.

Paraphrased from James, p.215: mix 6.5 g gelatin in 250 ml water. Let stand
30 min. Slowly heat to 140F in a beaker. Add 10 ml of 40% glyoxal. Stir.
Coat. Relax.

- Nick