RE: VDB test results

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 12/07/02-02:36:45 PM Z

Hi all-

> I beleve that the majority of art papers are now buffered, although they're
> not always described as such. Indeed, "permanent" papers should contain
> alkaline reserves according to the ANSI Z39 (US) Permanent Paper Standard.
> Anything labelled acid free and not specifically designated unbuffered is
> probably buffered. When did buffering start? Don't know, but according to
> Silvie Turner (The Book of Fine Paper): "A move to make certain grades of
> machinemade papers (mostly artists' and book papers) acid free is due partly
> to pressure put on manufacturers by librarians, particularly in the USA."

Recently looking for papers in the Daniel Smith catalog I ran across this bit of info:

"Buffers, such as calcium carbonate, may be added to change the acidic value of the pulp mixture guaranteeing the alkaline reserve. During the papermaking process many manufacturers add a minimum of 2% calcium carbonate allowing the paper to be manufactured with a neutral or alkaline reserve. Acid-free papers are considered to have no free acids or a pH measure of at least 6.5 pH or higher."

In some processes (VDB and cyan) I have found that some papers do not take the sensitizer as well as others. Could the carbonate be the culprit? Most of the time I simply single coat and print without pre-shrinking or sizing. Is it possible to remove the buffer by pre-shrinking or would the paper have to soak so long that it begins to seperate? Would applying sizing (gelatin or starch) solve the problem?

Thanks,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net