Re: Alternative Photography Processes -Defination

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/10/02-11:57:43 PM Z

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Farah Mahbub wrote:

> Salaam everyone,
>
> Greeting from this part of the world ....
>
> My new updated website will be going on line soon (InshAllah) ... and I need
> a little help in putting some info together for it with your kind help. My
> plan is to have a section on my site for students who will hopefully in the
> near future learn some Alternative Photography Processes (a first in my part
> of the world) I will be using your definitions and various answers with your
> name to put on line .
>
> 1- Define the term Alternative photography processes ?

Hi Farah... greetings from arctic New York...

I didn't notice any reply to this... though folks mau have commented
offlist. I think perhaps the moment when this question was gripping is
not now, at least not on this list...

Which is to say, that argument may be over... We did it about 1997, ran a
long thread... maybe it's still available in the archive. I quoted it in
the first Post-Factory -- in sum, no definition was fully satisfactory...
candidates ranged from noble processes to classic processes, to basically
whatever I say, just not "straight." Which was a lot of why I used the
term "Post-Factory" -- meaning whatever was done after, or not in, or not
with their kit, or not kosher according to instructions of, factory.

> 2- What is your favorite technique and formula ?

Whew... broad question. I think maybe you need to -- what's the
expression? Prime the pump? Like, say, I think the noblest alternative
process is xxxxxxxxxxx with the xxxxxxxxx formula -- and then give
reasons, if possible disparaging some other formula or process, which
might get someone going, then someone else & so forth.

> 3- What does fine art photography mean to you ?

What does it mean to *you*? To me, it's photography I like, approve of,
enjoy, even looove. I'll give a good example & a bad one.

John Stevenson sent out an announcement for his upcoming John Dugdale
show, including an announcement for a group show, showing prints from
Dugdale, Ernestine Ruben, Imogen Cunningham, Sheila Metzner and Ruth
Bernhard. Words fail me in attempt to describe my distaste for the
Bernhard. I thought her babes in boxes were bad. This is babe in wet
silk. I am not making that up -- title is Wet Silk. If it were in color NO
ONE would not know it was soft porn.

A photograph I liked a lot, enormously, was Dan Estabrook's announcement
for his show at Sarah Morthland, "Braid," pencil on calotype, 8x6 inches.
Enchanting -- and the fingerprints on the card were DELIBERATE.

> 4- How would you categorize photography as digital art ... manipulations and
> montages ?

Exactly. You said it just right.

> 5- Your favorite photography website and link is .......

The one I hear the most about is Ed Buffaloe's Unblinking Eye -- I've
never been there because I don't do websites if possible to avoid (TV with
crashes, tho I guess I repeat myself on that), but I trust Ed (and
besides, he was great in Post-Factory).

Another we hear mentioned a lot for good stuff is the Stanford University
site -- but I'm told that's mostly downloads of classic literature.
Certainly a public service, but (if my impression is correct), not the
same force of personality.

> Thank you in advance for any help ... suggestions... ideas you can give me
> in this regard

If you can, put on a little show -- maybe even pages of a book -- it might
excite/interest students more than text.

good luck, and may you soon have dozens of accolytes spreading the word...

cheers,

Judy