Re: Photographer Arrested & potassium oxalate

From: Steve Bell (veracity000@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/12/02-02:43:48 PM Z

I'm not sure exactly what solution you are working with, or what process
for that matter, but when you say Dichro, do you mean Dichromate? of the
potassium or ammonium sort? as i understand it (and have learned from
experience when i was frightened to hear the sound of gravel in my brown
bottle) potassium dichro[mate] is saturated around 12%. and ammonium dichro
is saturated around 25%. so some sediment is inevitable.

of course, i'm taking a wild guess that when you refer to dichro, you refer
to one of these.

cheers,

Steve

arc=

> hives

> > of both

> > Denver papers and came up with nothing for the dates or for the name
Magi=

> nnis.

> > As of now,

> > I'm filling it as unverified urban legend.

> Arrested

> I am a photo editor at one of the Denver newspapers and passed this story
o=

> to the appropriate word editors last week after we received an e-mail
from =

> person claiming to be a friend of this Maginnis guy. I'll see if anyone
was

> ever able to talk to this guy.

> Potassium Oxalate

> I was printing some stuff and had to break out my jug of potassium oxalate

> #5. When I picked up the container it sounded like a giant maraca. I
heated

> up the juice to about 140=9A but the crystals would not go away. I
filtered

> them out and used it anyway as I already had the exposure going. The print

> looked OK, but I only had time to do the one so I have nothing to judge it

> against. Would it be the PO or the Dichro that formed the crystals? If
it's

> the Dichro, I would assume that I'm not getting the full contrast effect,
i=

> it's the PO, would it even matter? Has anyone had this same experience? I

> know the short answer is to mix up fresh stuff to be sure, just curious.

> (And I rate mixing things right up with processing film, it sucks.)

> mateo

--- Steve Bell
--- Veracity000@earthlink.net
--- "We have...become our own thought police; but instead of calling the
process by which we limit our own expression of
     dissent and wonder 'censorship', we call it 'concern for commercial
viability'." -David Mamet