Re: Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: Joe Tait (jtait@texas.net)
Date: 12/16/02-03:53:22 PM Z

Shannon Stoney wrote:

>Funny that so many people seem to be thinking about this at the same
time. I
>made some black and white photogravures this past fall, and naturally that
>led to the idea of making some four color separation photogravures.
In fact
>I saw one from Flat Bed Press in Austin that I loved! It had that kind of
>fifties look to it. (Or maybe that was partly because of the car in the
>picture.) Anyway, the guy that does my scans for me said NOT to give
him a
>regular color negative, ie Portra, but rather a transparency to scan and
>separate. I thought that Portra would be fine to scan. What do people on
>this list think? The image I really want to use for the first try is on
>Portra. Making one image will require four plates of course, so I want to
>be fairly sure it will work before buying four solarplates. I don't
care if
>the colors aren't perfectly naturalistic.
>
>--shannon

Generally they want a slide because you do not have to try to remove the
orange mask used in color negs, and consequently you get more accurate
color. Alot of people claim that you get better, smoother color
gradations, less grain and more vibrant color from slide film.
Generally, this seems to be true, but it really depends on the
software/scanner being used to scan. With your application being
artistic, the "critical color" arguement falls by the wayside IMHO, and
along with it the requirement for slide film.

Me personally, I have gotten good results with color negs and think that
it is far more forgiving when using a lower-end CCD film scanner,
because of the inherent lack of density as compared to slide film. I say
shoot the Portra.

Good Luck.

-Joe