Re: Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/16/02-06:23:57 PM Z

Joe wrote:

> Me personally, I have gotten good results with color negs and think that
> it is far more forgiving when using a lower-end CCD film scanner,
> because of the inherent lack of density as compared to slide film. I say
> shoot the Portra.

Also, I heard somewhere that Portra was designed by Kodak to be easy to scan
for digital prints. If you are scanning a Portra negative for a regular ink
jet print, you would still have to invert it somewhere along the way, or
the scanner would. So why not for four color separations? My pre-press guy
uses a real high tech scanner (but gives students a good deal) so the
scanner is not an issue. I had good luck scanning portra negatives on a flat
bed scanner too, though, in the past.

--shannon