Long Lenses, Landscapes and Kudzu

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 12/17/02-02:39:41 AM Z

Sam has a good point... it probably has a lot to do with what is practical
and what will render the image in the manner you visualize it.

I'll have to admit first though that I shoot that puny 35 mm film. You have
to imagine going out to shoot with Sam and his 5 x 7 round camera, Sandy with
his 20 x 24 view camera behemoth—and me in the middle with my puny 35 mm.
Talk about film size envy.

Well, anyway I do a lot of 35 mm landscape shots with both wide angle and
telephoto... up to 640 mm. I know that may sound like heresy. Once in a
while in the far distance there is a group of mountains that have this
beautiful soft layered effect...and the only way I can get them is with the
telephoto—I ain't walkin' over there and besides, the effect won't be the
same.

I like this question too. When does a landscape stop being a landscape? If
I move in on a particular tree, then I feel more like I am taking a portrait.
 I'm just not sure where landscape leaves off and something else begins. How
much land do you have to have in your scape? Does it have to be bigger than
a football field? Can landscapes have a vertical format? Do they have to
have both earth and sky in them?

I have hundreds of shots of South Carolina landscapes that I shot with my
telephoto lens. They are all foggy and look like kudzu. My lens seemed to
clear up in New Mexico. And there are no telephone poles there being
strangled by kudzu. Lots of dust in the Southwest though. OK, I admit it...
once I got out of my car and took a wide angle shot straight down the center
of that long, flat road. I keep it hidden in the bottom drawer.

Mark Nelson