Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam@pinehill.com)
Date: 12/17/02-01:38:40 AM Z

Jon wrote:

>"Anti-Photographic" ???
>
>You got to be kidding.
>
>As far as why people usually do not use telephoto lenses is that most
>people when photographing the landscape want to provide a 'sense of
>place'. This is dificult to achieve with a telephoto lens.
>
>Shooting telephoto is a limiting process where you exclude the
>surroundings and focus on one specific element or area in a landscape.

I often shoot landscapes with telephoto lenses, very cool, imho.
Limiting process? I suppose, but it also makes visible sections of a
grand vista landscape that would otherwise go unseen. So would that be
an encompassing process?

>Needless to say it would be relatively easy argue that shooting with a
>telephoto lens that the image no longer stands as a 'landscape'
>photograph. But that doesn't remove it from being a photograph.
>
>Maybe you are confused by this. Since the image no longer is a landscape
>photograph then it is no longer a photograph at all? You could not be any
>more wrong....

I doubt that Jack Fulton is confused by this or anything else
photographic. He's saying that with the loss of perspective, or severe
distortion, caused by the telephoto, the image loses reality, therefore
becomes non-photographic, non-real. That's what's so interesting about
the process in landscapes.

Pam