Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/17/02-04:00:04 AM Z

Shannon, your posts are great. I love the mental picture of you spying
on the cows with your telephoto lens.

This has been an interesting and educational thread. I didn't know, for
instance, that people don't use telephoto lenses for landscape. I do it
all the time, or did when I was shooting 35mm; in fact I used a 100mm
lens as my standard everyday lens. I wouldn't consider 100mm a
telephoto, but I'm just saying that as a rule I like to shoot longer and
closer than what's generally considered "normal" Unfortunately my
longest lens for the 8x10 is 16" As Sandy points out, the 8x10
equivalent to my "normal" 100mm would be 24" and even a telephoto
equivalent of a 200mm lens would exceed my bellows draw. So I can't
shoot landscape in large format the way I'd like to and am still
struggling to find a way to make the large format camera a tool that
serves my "vision" of landscape. One interim solution I've come up with
is to fix a pinhole to a lensboard and stretch the bellows out as far as
it will go, which is around 30".

I also didn't know that a landscape photograph is supposed to show a
panoramic vista and what's more, to show proper "photographic"
perspective and to represent "reality" accurately. Says who?
Katharine Thayer