Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/17/02-08:42:34 AM Z

Shannon Stoney wrote:

> Katherine wrote:
>
> One interim solution I've come up with
> > is to fix a pinhole to a lensboard and stretch the bellows out as far as
> > it will go, which is around 30".
>
> That's interesting. So, in effect that makes a pinhole telephoto aperture?

Yes, if I understand what you mean by that. I can get a magnification at
a distance with this setup that isn't possible with the lenses I have.
This might be a way to approximate the pictures you found with your
viewfinder held at arm's length. For maximum sharpness the diameter of
the pinhole should be gauged to the distance between the pinhole and the
film; there are formulas available to figure out what number needle to
use to make the pinhole with. Since sharpness isn't a major value for
me, I just used a pretty big hole (I think I made it with a pushpin) and
that works fine for what I'm doing; the image on the postcard for my
last show was made using this setup.

By the way, leafing through the Giacomelli book I came across a picture
that I wished I could upload to the list. Most of the picture is
occupied by the side of a cow, walking; its head is cropped out of the
picture. In the background is a clothesline with clothes hanging on it,
and there are some heads of people looking over the cow's back; the
whole thing is compressed into a very shallow plane. It would be a
perfect illustration to summarize this whole discussion.
kt