Re: Will somebody dare to define it? (landscape)

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/21/02-12:24:30 PM Z

> View, however, the meaning of scape, is what I enjoy ogling.
>> My male gaze is upon the land and though I like trees I actually like the
>> environment better.
>
> Better be careful. Pretty soon we are going to start accusing you of
> scopophilia and looking at nude landscapes, pretending they are art when
> actually they are soft porn.
>
> --shannon

Yup, you could. I placed the words carefully, realizing my intent. I believe
I mentioned this prior, but my very very good friend, Linda Connor, a
respected photographer of land-scapes, has said multiple times that a man
likes to find the best spot, generally the high point, to pee and 'mark' his
'territory'. A woman embraces it she says. However, my hope is not to
distract us from the rich conversation regarding landscape. this is an
important topic to me and I enjoy all the comments.
  As I've told you prior I take my students on an 8 day journey into remote
portions of Nevada camping out and photographing. It is extremely difficult
for the average student to 'realize' the environment in which they stand. It
is either too fantastic (perhaps) or just plain beautiful and that, to them,
is ordinary. I find it puzzling the fear (if you will) they have of
attempting to capture it.
  Sam holds no fear w/his wide wide angled lens walking into the forest.
Perhaps it is the appreciation that comes with the aging process. For the
student it is easier to photograph the navel and to see that as novel
because it is theirs and that, at least, can be somewhat defined. Through
this experience with multiple students, I have concluded that photography is
a far more difficult medium than I ever had conceived of.