Re: CIRCLE PHOTOS

From: S Wang (stwang@direcTVinternet.com)
Date: 12/21/02-07:26:49 PM Z

Hi Temi,

Yes, as Carl and Kerik have explained, you simply need to figure out
a way to graft a lens meant for a smaller format, onto a back that's
larger. In my case I originally built a 5x7 camera body to accept a
medium format wide angle lens (I actually built 4 different
versions). Later, I built a medium format back to mate with 35mm
lenses. More recently I built a 4x5 body to accept a medium format
wide angle lens - this last version actually was first built by
someone who saw my work in PHOTO Techniques magazine. He sold it to
me and I had to rebuild the body with wood (his was all metal - very
heavy!)

If all you wanted was a circular format, you can do what a lot of
people do, just crop the picture when you print. But that would be
completely different from what I wanted.

Funny how a lot of people also immediately thought I used pinhole.
I'm glad no one ever thought it was fisheye.

The web design was done by Joe Champaign, a wizard with the web, who
also a photographer, teaches at Virginia Intermont College in Bristol.

Hope this answers your questions.

Sam