Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 12/21/02-07:49:38 PM Z

Jon wrote:

(snip)
> Landscape photographs can be made anywhere. However, if you have ever
> lived in the intermountain west and also experienced places like the
> midwest, you will realize it is more dificult to make landscape
> photographs in the midwest (just as one example). Would others not agree?

No, I respectfully disagree, based on personal experience and what I've seen
other photographers do. Try to locate a copy of "Prairie: Images of Ground
and Sky", by Terry Evans; ISBN 0-7006-0287-9. Ms. Evan's photographs are an
excellent example of how a beautiful and exciting body of work can be
created in Kansas, a state that many people would deride as being boring,
flat, and empty.

Some of my best landscape photos were created in New Jersey, during the 14
years I lived there. IMO, a great photographer will create great photos no
matter where he/she is. Sure, if you think Kansas or New Jersey (or
wherever you live) is dull and boring, you'll never be motivated to create
great photos. I've never had that problem. I'm excited by the world around
me, no matter where I've lived.

Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming