Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/22/02-03:15:23 PM Z

> The idea that only trailer parks, junkyards, garbage pails, nuclear
> power plants and the like are elements of the "landscape" worth
> photographing, and that only the inclusion of some such ironic
> contradiction can raise a landscape photograph to the level of art, is
> in itself getting to be very same old same old; the contradiction has
> been done to death til it's frankly not very interesting any more.
>>> In a way, this is a shame. Here you are, learned, and probably supportive
of the do-not-pollute group . . . but you are bored by the constant
juxtaposition of 'junk' and 'Nature'. It is a visual "Boy Who Cried Wolf".
Yet, like that young young person excitedly experimenting and learning with
Catherine Rogers was "trying to find a voice". But, that visual icon of
comparison is a lot like the continued cry against racism: necessary. The
dumb need eyes into thought. Photographers of conscience provide that no
matter how disney(-pop)ular the visual voice is.

> My ideas on this and related questions are presented at more length in an
> article I've written on the new pictorial landscape photograph; in the
> event that it may be published this year, which I've been led to believe
> is a distinct possibility, I probably shouldn't repeat what I said
> there, so I'll just say for now that the times they are a changing, and
> that whole conventional wisdom cited above belongs to 25 years ago, in
> my opinion.
> Katharine Thayer
>>> What is the iconic difference Katherine? Is is Salgado, M.E. Mark, Misrach,
Ketchum, Klett or is it the 'spirit searchers' like Gowin, L. Connor,
Giacomelli (to bring him back in)? We're in a real fix. Indeed, the notion
of 100, nay, 150 years ago, of what constituted a land scape has been
influenced by time shrinkage. I drove w/my students in one day what it'd
take a family coming to CA in 1850 a month. Talk about juxtaposition. I may
entitle my newest outdoor photography, 'Just a Position', so as to imply
it's political heritage.