flatbed scanner

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/24/02-01:59:47 AM Z

Hello again...

With all the computer grief I've been having, the one piece of equipment
plugging politely away is the Umax powerlook 2000 XL. The bed is about 12
by 17 inches, and transparency adapter gives same size. I realize not the
resolution of the Epson just under discussion, but fine for my purposes --
when I scan a larger neg it doesn't have to be enlarged so much.

But today i heard about someone had the same scanner that died. So here's
my question: For convenience, since it IS slow to start, I leave it on
for days while I'm working in that mode. I was told this is OK to do, the
light goes out & everything does sleep mode. But now I'm wondering --
which is harder on the insides-- on/off or stay on? Or is that a question
could only be answered by double-blind study of 42,000 scanners?

Anyway, thought I'd ask...

J.