Re: Edith the Trickster Heroine

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/28/02-11:05:52 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@earthlink.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: Edith the Trickster Heroine

> Judy, you are right. There are definitely two topics going
on here: whether
> men and women should pee outside; and how to interpret a
photograph. Let's
> abandon the first as it is off topic. But maybe you'd
like to talk some
> more about why you chose the topic of men peeing outside
for a series of
> photographs?
>
> (Also, one little practical tip: when you go out in cold
weather and wind,
> wear a heavy wool skirt with other skirts under it, not a
caftan. The wool
> skirts stay down. Also I suppose you could put weights in
the hem. This
> used to be a common sewing practice. There were little
thin chains that you
> could sew into the hem. This might work for a dark cloth
! )

  Snipping...
   I just finished reading a recent biography of the Wright
brothers. In it the hobble skirt is attributed to Mrs. Hart
Berg, the first woman passenger on a flying machine. she
tied a rope around the bottom of her skirt to keep it from
blowing around. Evidently the news photos of this inspired
the hobble skirt. Perhaps an advantage in cold or blowing
weather but it seems to me to be one of the more
bondage-oriented items of women's clothing ever invented.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com