Re: Magic Brush

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 02/02/02-09:03:51 AM Z

Joe and Don et al:

Yes, the main difference is that it is a synthetic fiber brush, and does not
absorb the solution. You get the brush soaking wet, give it a few shakes,
and then coat. I've used both kinds of brushes, and the Richeson 9010
definitely is more economical to coat sensitizer smoothly and evenly. The
other benefit in my book is that you just rinse it out and it is ready to go
again, where you have to get hake brushes back at least to a damp stage
before using it again. I used to have a clothesline in my darkroom with
about 3-4 hake brushes in various stages of drying when I was printing. You
only need one brush with the Richeson. Three better-quality hake brushes
will probably set you back about the same amount as one Richeson.

Also, because it is synthetic, you don't have the fibers getting gummed up
with sensitizer. I used to keep a small beaker with dilute phosphoric acid
to soak my hake brushes in after using them to keep them from getting choked
with expensive palladium and FO.

Another thing this brush has is a smooth razor edge when wet. You have to
see it to understand the difference. I've not seen any commercial synthetic
brushes that are as soft and easy to coat with as this brush.

All that said, I used hake brushes for a long time and never had problems. I
think the Richeson probably pays for itself if you print a lot, but is
definitely not something that everyone MUST have to make great prints. I'm
sure there is someone out there making perfectly beautiful prints using
Q-Tips to spread the sensitizer.

Clay