RE: traveling with film

From: Dave & Adina Ewaldz (dewaldz@home.com)
Date: 02/05/02-05:31:17 PM Z

FDanB wrote:

> I just returned from 30 hours of globe-trotting air travel so my info is
> fresh.
>
> In the US, you can still request a hand-check. That isn't to say you
> might night get assaulted by those behind you who could resent anything
> that slows down the process what with the additional delays and hassles
> of current airline security. I had to take my shoes off four times
> getting home.

Me too. It sounds like you were luckier than I.
I just got home to Chicago from Mexico via Houston this afternoon, and had a
terrible time with this.

Let me tell you that you must really press your case with these people at
the security checkpoints if you want a hand check. In Houston, I had to
request the security supervisor, and then had to request his boss!
In O'Hare on the way out, not much better.

They told me the front line people have been instructed to refuse hand
checking of anything "not high speed" period.
My Ilford delta 400 and Supra 800 didn't qualify.
I suppose I could also shoot 4x5 and mf exclusively, and forget 35mm.

There's two things I am going to try next time:

1.) Have a printed copy of the federal regs. since the security knuckleheads
dont seem to know it.
The section regarding hand inspection of film is §108.209(e)
Found here (watch word wrap on the url):

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr108_00.html

2.) For 35mm, I'm gonna buy some of those stick on film speed labels that
Porters sells and claim high speed.
http://porterscamerastore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=p
cs&Product_Code=42-0066&Category_Code=F1U

> Film shooters who don't insist on b/w emulsions might want to consider
> shooting color neg film that could be processed on the fly and
> transported home safely with no radiation concerns.
>
> The times, they are indeed a-changing.

Indeed.

Kinda makes a better case for digital eh?
I wish the quality was where I want it to be though.

> Dan

Dave Ewaldz