Re: Ferric Oxalate

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/05/02-09:32:29 PM Z

Jeffrey,
 I missed your below answer to "why make your own" before I posted my
question. I see your point. However, there are other uses for ferric
oxalate and it will surely remain a specialty chemical for the foreseeable
future. I'd bet Artcraft buys it from someone in bulk, rather than making
it. Ferric oxalate is used in some biochemical tests to measure amounts of
UV (much like we use it). It was even investigated as an additive to dental
adhesives, and maybe is still used this way? I'm not sure.

I'm not criticizing or discouraging anyone. I'm a chemist and enjoy lab
work. However, I do think that making ferric oxalate in a home lab may be
more trouble than it's worth. Also, to the uninitiated, watch that hydrogen
peroxide. Drugstore 3% is harmless, but 30% or higher is very nasty stuff.
Concentrated hydrogen peroxide is a very strong oxidizer, must be stored
refrigerated in a vented bottle (builds pressure), reactions can run away
violently, and it can start fires if in contact with flammables. I'd be
hesitant to work with it outside of a laboratory. Wear eye protection (!)
and be careful.

Linas