Re: Another VanDyke question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/05/02-09:46:54 PM Z

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> If someone knows of an effective way to control contrast with
> vandyke. My tests in adding potassium dichromate to the sensitizer
> before coating and/or to the developing water have all resulted in
> mixed results. Are there other options?

I got considerably longer scale by acid pre-coat (tho if I had to dig up
those tests, probably couldn't). I didn't know about the oxalic acid
at the time -- now I'd try that first. But I found (from memory) both HCL
and acetic promising. Or maybe the second was nitric. (?)

For shorter scale... fuggedaboudit -- At least the addition of dichromate
looked like a bust to me. Cut the high tones too drastically, too much
loss of print quality even in very small dose.

best,

Judy