Re: a funny thing/ Re: Anderson again two

From: Cactus Cowboy (cactus@tritel.net)
Date: 02/08/02-11:49:52 PM Z

Dear Judy:

Paul Anderson may have had "bad habits", but that does not mean he created
or caused a pigment stain problem. Most gum printers will agree that too
much pigment in the mix will create an undesirable stain. That none of
Anderson's contemporaries (excepting Casell in 1911) mentions staining as a
problem shouldn't mean much to you.... After all, you did dismiss the past
with the following quotation:

> "HISTORY IS MORE OR LESS BUNK..."
>
> That's one of the more famous sayings of that great American Gum Printer,
> Henry Ford

Let's focus on the present, and what we've learned from personal experience.

I've used 30% ammonium dichromate and 10% potassium dichromate solutions
extensively. Using the same pigment/gum mixture, I've made identical test
exposures with both AD 30% and PD 10% respectively. The results? AD yields
muddier, lower contrast prints. PD will produce deeper shadows, more
contrast, and a shorter scale. Even after adjusting exposure to negate the
difference in emulsion speed, AD will create a very slight apparent increase
in pigment stain as compared to using PD. But pigment/gum ratio has a far
bigger impact on staining than sensitizer does.

Judy writes:
> I suppose some folks reading this will still demur. So under separate
> cover I outline a few simple tests for proof. Meanwhile, I note two
> bizarre phenomena that shed more light on the process. First, am I the
> only one who has made a test strip with some weirdo brand of watercolor
> that likes to stain and found that whites cleared up to step 10 or so,
> then began a reverse scale, building tones IN PIGMENT STAIN, in nice stair
> steps, but now in reverse, lightest at step #11, darkest at the top? At
> first I suspected a light leak, then realized that, being so consistent,
> it had to be the material itself. I asked the list, under some subject
> line like "Gum Mystery," probably in early 1995. No answer.

No, you're not the only one. I wasn't on this list in 1995, but I'd
experienced this phenomenon over 10 years ago. I saw the same effect using
Sennelier Mars Black (dry pigment) mixed 1g/20ml gum with PD 10% sensitizer.
Sennelier Mars Black is an iron oxide pigment that's prone to heavy
staining.

You like to come off as a 'new authority', someone who's making exciting
discoveries, Judy. I (and I suspect many others) have made the same
observations and have had the same experiences you've had in gum printing.
Indeed, nothing you've offered in your magazine or on this list regarding
gum printing has been news to me. Much of what you've written I've doubted,
due to your imprecise methodology, e.g. "Choose a tube watercolor that likes
to stain. Mix enough of it into 10 cc of gum arabic to make a strong color."

What exactly is "strong color"? How is the pigment being measured? By eye?
By weight? By volume?

You've frequently maligned the writings of Anderson, Crawford, and Scopick
regarding the gum-pigment-ratio test. How many times do you need to beat a
dead horse..... We all understand that sizing, type of paper used,
sensitizer, dilutions, temperature, and exposure have an impact upon
staining. But that does not mean the test is meaningless or without value.
It is a quick and easy way to determine an approximate *starting point* for
gum/pigment ratio.

How many gum printers out there are using Burnt Sienna and Thalo Blue? How
many of you use them at exactly the same pigment/gum ratio? LOL! Any
'doubters' should try the pigment-gum-ratio test (follow instructions given
by Crawford or Scopick) using these two pigments. If any of you don't see
strikingly different results, I'll eat my cowboy hat!

It's apparent that you favor a casual 'mix by eye' approach Judy. Given
that, the very notion of a measured gum/pigment ratio is meaningless to you.
I'm not knocking your printing methods as long as they work for you and
you're happy with the results. If you can't or won't appreciate the value
of using a precise approach to gum printing, please don't criticize those
who do.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Big Wonderful Wyoming