RE: Book by Christopher James

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@telocity.com)
Date: 02/08/02-11:06:53 PM Z

George,

> I'm glad that you are not the only one who found many of the images in
the book to be disappointing!

Disappointing? In what way?

> but not enough balance showing good photography.

Good photography? Is that like good music or good painting or good
sculpture?

> My bias is towards less experimental work that can be understood by
looking at it instead of by reading the caption which states what the
artist was trying to achieve.

I think in the context of a book such as this, captioning is perfectly
acceptable. Don't most published photographs have at least a title? And
yes many of these photographs are quite "edgey" and not the readily
understandable photos we might be used to looking at or making. In short
I found almost all of the examples to be excellent as examples of the
processes and inspirational giving us a different point of view about
making personal photographs.

Comments from a straight photographer,

Don Bryant