APIS 2002 -- England

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/10/02-01:07:24 PM Z

I thought this may be of interest.

Dick Sullivan

"APIS, The Alternative Photography International Symposium,has been running
in alternate years since 1997 in Bath in the UK and Santa Fe in the US.

In 2002 APIS is to be held in England at the National Museum of Photography
in Bradford, Yorkshire. The Museum has one of the world's finest
collections of photographs, cameras and other 'photographica' . It is also
one of the country's most popular tourist attractions.

So that we can plan effectively we need to know, as soon as possible, how
many people would like to come as delegates or as speakers and whether they
would prefer the event to take place during the week or at a weekend. We
have not decided on a month for the Symposium. June is the most likely with
July or September as other choices, We will take the preferences of those
reponding into account in deciding the date.

Confirmation will be needed once we have a firm foundation for the event.

There will need to be a small charge to cover costs, accommodation and
administration but this will be kept to a minimum.

A record of the symposium is likely to be published in The PhotoHistorian
which is the magazine published by the Historical Group of the Royal
Photographic Society which, for those concerned with such things, has
academic status.

The symposium will give the opportunity for demonstrations and display of
images and portfolios.

Although the final programme and speakers have yet to be decided, the
sessions will cover the current practice and history of what we now refer
to as alternative processes and, where appropriate the application of
digital processes in the field. The ground to be covered will include such
subjects as :

1.The computer and the alternative print
2.The revival of alternative processes in the US
3. Alternative processes in the fine art print studio
4. Emersons platinum prints and how he saw the world
5. The prints of Demachy and Puyo in the Societe Francais de Photographie
6.Pigment Transfer processes
7. The Lippmann Process
8. The Becquerel Daguerreotype
9. The Extravatype
10. The Collotype
12 Gum printing in the UK
13 Autochromes
14 Fresson
15 Modern Bromoil Practice.

The City of Bradford lies in some of the most beautiful landscape that the
UK has to offer. The 'Bronte Country' is within the city limits. The scope
for photography of both historic urban and rural landscape is immense.

Reply to

terryaking@cs.com"

Terry King