Re: Papers

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/10/02-10:18:02 PM Z

Eric,
 I have not used any such ammonium based salts of platinum. Are you asking
about ammonium based Pt(II) salts, or an ammonium version of the Pt(IV)
salt? I belive that the higher oxidation state Pt(IV) in the so called
"NA2" from B&S is the reason for the contrast effect I was discussing. I
wonder if different counterions, whether they be K+, Na+ or NH4+, would
have any great effect on the redox chemistry of the platinum. The way I see
it, they may only play an important role if they drasticly effect
solubility of the salts. I'm speculating here ....

Where do you get ammonium based Pt salts? I might want to give it a try.

Linas

based

> salt in the paper you speak of. Did I miss something?

> Eric Neilsen

> Eric Neilsen Photography

> 4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9

> Dallas , TX 75226

> 214-827-8301

> Web Sites : www.ericneilsenphotography.com

> http://e.neilsen.home.att.net

with

> > absolute certainty that the so called NA2 platinum (Na2PtCl6) available

> > from B&S raises contrast considerably more that "normal" platinum. In a

> > test with 1:1 ratios of Pd/Pt, with each type of platinum, the so called

> > "NA2" complex gave a 3-4 step compresion of the scale when printing a

> > stouffer step tablet.

> > The chemical explanation offered in the technical paper at the B&S site

> > makes perfect sense to me. It takes twice the amount of ferrous oxalate

> > reduce the Pt(IV) of the "NA2" complex to metalic platinum Pt(0). The

> > Pt(IV) complex uses up the available ferrous oxalate rapidly in areas of

> > lower exposure, and this compreses the scale.

> > Linas

for

> > > Sullivan ? I was not able to detect significant changes in contrast
with

> > > this product.

> > > As far as I know and experienced the contrast is not more influenced

> than

> > by

> > > adding just the 'normal' platinum solution to the palladium.

> > > Witho

paper

> > > about

> found