Re: Speeding up salt prints & calotypes

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 02/12/02-11:24:48 AM Z

I don't know about "speeding up" Calotypes, but there is several chemical
methods for Salted Paper. Understand, none of these will increase the speed
more than a half stop. One involves ammoniating the silver nitrate (not that
hard, but many steps). The second involves boiling the paper (before
sensitizing) in a 10% solution of potassium chlorate. When the paper is
dried, coat with the silver nitrate solution. The keeping properties of this
method are poor, it must be exposed as soon as the sensitized paper is dry.
It doesn't fix well either. I experimented with this for a time and could
not get the print to properly fix. A third, is to replace the salting
solution with muriatic acid. Like, I said it only gains about 1/2 stop
speed. The hazards do not out weigh the benefits. Another technique, if you
can make it work is to under a darkroom safelight, coat the paper with a
18-20% solution of potassium bromide. When damp dry, coat with the silver
solution. Dry in the dark. Contact expose as usual. If you get an image, it
will have a very nice detailed blue-black color. I am using "if" because
this is a VERY temperamental way of doing things. At one point I was able to
make six very nice contact prints, then for no reason at all, the process
stopped working. Terry King and I tried to collaborate to get this
bromide-silver technique to work and we kept banging our heads on the wall.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ

PS. If this post didn't make sense, my apologies. I'm fighting the flu and
am very cloudy minded.