Re: Dichromates and staining (was: a funny thing....)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/12/02-10:38:09 PM Z

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Cactus Cowboy wrote:
> It's unfortunate that a magazine publisher and frequent contributor to this
> list is advocating pigment stain testing on *unsized* papers.

Thanks for the publicity, Cactus. Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but
after each of your diatribes I get a couple more subscription inquiries.
Obviously, you're doing something right.

However,

> > Since we're TRYING to show stain, ideally the paper should be shrunk & not
> > sized. A surface size on paper that's never been wet can forestall stain
> > on many first coats; the water washes it away & raises the nap, after
> > which it stains more (unless given a coat of size).
>
> No, "we're" not "TRYING to show stain"! When I make gum prints, one simple
> question I ask is: "what's the maximum amount of pigment that I can use on
> the *sized* paper that I print on, without having a staining problem?"

Feel free to make your prints any way you like. For the purpose of my
proposed test that you are misquoting, however, the idea WAS EXACTLY to
show stain -- pigment stain. That, as I explained, was to make a point
about the properties and effects of dichromate, to explain why just the
gum & pigment alone are a waste of time, or only part of the story, at
best.

The point was not about a particular paper, or a particular size, or lack
of size -- but to demonstrate the *principle* of effect of dichromate.

If you want to do it, or not to do it, or both, or neither -- nobody has a
gum at your head. Your wroth, in other words, is deliciously/suspiciously
over-the-top.

> Proving or disproving the propensity of a pigment to stain unsized paper is
> irrelevant and confusing, (unless you happen to be printing on unsized
> paper).

I doubt you are so easily confused -- at least on that point, although
apparently on some others. But when you say, you want to figure "the
maximum amount of pigment that I can use on the *sized* paper that I print
on, without having a staining problem," I think that Varn gum may not be
your best friend. As I will explain shortly.

Meanwhile, PS: some beautiful prints in upcoming issue exactly on unsized,
preshrunk paper.

best,

Judy