Re: Dichromates and staining (was: a funny thing....)

From: Cactus Cowboy (cactus@tritel.net)
Date: 02/11/02-11:33:43 PM Z

Absolutely correct! "Properly sized" is the intended surface for the vast
majority of gum printers.

It's unfortunate that a magazine publisher and frequent contributor to this
list is advocating pigment stain testing on *unsized* papers.

Judy Seigel wrote:

(snip)

> Since we're TRYING to show stain, ideally the paper should be shrunk & not
> sized. A surface size on paper that's never been wet can forestall stain
> on many first coats; the water washes it away & raises the nap, after
> which it stains more (unless given a coat of size).

No, "we're" not "TRYING to show stain"! When I make gum prints, one simple
question I ask is: "what's the maximum amount of pigment that I can use on
the *sized* paper that I print on, without having a staining problem?"

Proving or disproving the propensity of a pigment to stain unsized paper is
irrelevant and confusing, (unless you happen to be printing on unsized
paper).

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Big Wonderful Wyoming

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking".
Henry Ford